Friday 23 November 2007

BULA (Part 2)

Finally I can continue my part 2 which is Day 2 in Fiji....hehe. I know I'm getting lazy but can't blame me! I have being going to the gym after work for the past few days. Trying to lose some weight OK?

Back to the topic.

Day 2 10-11-2007

Hubby was the 1st who woke up. He was so energentic, fully recharged after having an early night the previous day. After checking the sun, the sand and the sea from our balcony, Hubby decided to dig me up from the bed and get prepare to go snorkelling at the resort beach!

But to our horror we can't find our contact lens SOLUTION!!!!!OH SHIT! How are we going to dive without our contact lens??? I only pack 2 sets of lens per person for the whole trip! SHITTTTTT!!!!! After discussion, we decide skip snorkelling and go for a walk. Once we get the solution, we will start our wet activities. Better to play safe and keep the lens for diving.

The weather was very sunny. It was getting high tide at the beach, just nice to do some snorkelling. The water is so CLEAR!!! We were so tempted and Hubby is getting disappointed.



So I suggested that Hubby snorkel while I kayak. He is still able to see without glasses. But for me, I'm totally blind without my glasses. I even tried popping into the resort supermarket to try my luck but I wasn't lucky.But I did found out that I'm able to get the solution at the nearby town call Sigtoka and need to get there before 2p.m. as the chemist is only open for half day on Saturday.

We continue with our activity happily.
Taken by hubby during snorkelling
Me happily kayaking

We were both starting to feel hungry after spending about 30mins at the beach. Decided to go to Sigatoka for breakfast, stock up some food and most important to buy the contact lens solution.

We paid FIJ$20 for return trip to Sigatoka. The ride is about 15mins. We were really early, arrive there just after 0800. The 1st tourist to be there! We walk around and finally found our life saver!

Our Life Saver

Next task is to get breakfast. Found this eatery which seem to be run by chinese next to the market and bus station.
Ordered 2 plates of Fried Noodle, an Egg, 1 piece of Fried Chicken and 1 plate of Curry Chicken.

My Chow Mee. Tast pretty nice. Most important, there are vegetables in them.
Egg and Fried Chicken. I wanted Fried Egg but they only have Hard-Boiled Egg. I initially thought the eggs on display are raw, only cook when I order. But I was totally wrong. The chicken is nice on the appearance but is totally tastless on the inside.
Curry Chicken. Taste alright. Different from the curry back in Singapore.
Total cost of breakfast $17. Expensive? This is so much cheaper when compared to Outrigger charging $33 per person for breakfast. Food at the resort is really expensive!

Shopping time after breakfast!
Hubby shopping at the local market. We bought some bananas and 2 papayas.

What can you get for FIJ$1 in the market? You can get 5 mid size papaya or a bunch of bananas. We paid a old lady FIJ$1 for 2 papayas and another FIJ$1 for 4 bananas. She kept insisting us to get the rest but we told her we can't finish it and ask her to keep the rest. Expression from her is priceless.
The only stall selling fish in the whole market. Wonder how do they keep their fish fresh when there isn't any ice surrounding the fish + weather is so warm.

Next stop was the local supermarket. We grab a fork, a bowl, some instant noodles. That will be our breakfast for the next few days. Few bottles of milk coffee, packet of fruit juice and bottle of soft drink. Can keep them in the hotel room fridge. We even bought some local KFC and fresh baked bread roll for lunch!...hehe.That's 1 way to save on food. By this time, tourist start to flood the local little town.

Last stop is the local post office. We bought a few postcards and I suggested to look for their post office to post them back. After walking under the hot sun for less than 5mins with all the stuff we bought, I was planning to make a U-turn back to the pick-up point and return to the resort. Hubby insist of continuing and we came upon 2 policemen and I asked them for direction. The post office is just less than a few meters away.

Happily, we send off 3 postcards. 1 for Liew's family, 1 for Tan's family and 1 for Melbourne home.
3 postcards

Finally all tasks completed at Sigatoka. Back to resort.

We spend the next few hours booking activities for the rest of the trip. It's handy when there is a day trip travel agency located in the resort. We book our day cruise to Mana Island and White Water Rafting with Rosie Travel. Called up the shark dive operator to book our dive and also booked some dives with the resort dive operator.

When all are done, we change into our swim wear and laze by the pool. Reading story book, listening to ipod under the sun.

Hubby suggested to have a really nice dinner at Ivi Restaurant which is located in the resort. He read a lot of good review about the restaurant when he was doing research for the trip. It is a MUST TRY restaurant.

Waitress serving my Entree - Fijian Ika Kokoda
My Entree - Fijian National Dish of Marinated Island Fish in Fresh Lime Juice with Coconut Cream and a Hint of Chili. It is really nice and I love it! I had doubts when I ordered it because I'm not a fan of coconut but it turn out I feel in love with it!

Hubby's Entree - Oriental Duck Spring Roll and Taste of Fiji. It's very juicy and Hubby love his Entree too.

Hubby can't wait to attack his Main dish - Succulent 'Malolo' Marine Local Lobster - Hand Pound Thai Red Curry with Plump Red Grapes, Island Pineapple,Enriched Coconut Cream, Jasmine Rice and Fresh Basil. OMG was both our reaction when we had our 1st taste. Bet Hubby still dream about....hehe

My Main - Homemade Linguini with
Prawns and ScallopsTossed in Olive Oil with Fresh Tomatoes, Roasted Shallots, Garlic, Island Brasil and Shaved Parmesan. A very safe choice I will say. Taste alright, nothing fantastic when compare to Hubby's curry.

We didn't end the dinner with any dessert as we were pretty full after 2 course. More important, nothing fancy caught our eyes on the dessert menu.

It was a nice experience having dinner at Ivi Resturant. Their service is good and food is delicious. But we find that the lighting is too dim, a bit to see what exactly we are eating sometime.

We ended the day early again as we have to be ready at the lobby for our pick up the next day at 0645.

p.s. Till today the solution is not found, confiscated by the custom??? Initially thought we left it at home but after a week back from vacation, there is still no sign of it. Hmmmmm..........puzzle

2 comments:

Jas's footsteps said...

hey lady!
the beach looks great!! Hw i miss tanning & relaxing by the beach...

the shark dives really look scary...and that wheck reminds me of some movie i saw..I did comment on your photos..did u receive them?

cltyw said...

the beach is beautiful! I love the clear blue sea. i didn't really get a good tan this time round. the sun is too strong in the afternoon and dun think it is good for the body to "roast" myself.
well, i was initially very scare about going for the shark dive. but you knw wat, I fell in love with it!i will try to continue to blog once I manage to upload more photo into flickr.