Saturday 11 December 2010

Chocolate Mocha Cookies

My very lovely minister bought me 2 toys for the past 2 months. 1st was a Iphone4. I being using company provided mobile even since I stepped into Melbourne. The pro is I don't have to worry about mobile bills. Cons is I can't really sms oversea especially when it cost $0.50 for each sms on telstra. Getting my own mobile line means I can contact with my oversea family members, friends without needing to think 3 times! I started to play with my Iphone quite a bit and had a page with all the food related application. This is where I came upon this recipe.

The 2nd toy was my birthday present. It's a KitchenAid Standing Mixer!!! I have being eyeing it for ages!!!! But as all the housewives know, it's a pretty expensive tools to have in the kitchen. I'm always itchy to play with my toy. Constantly thinking what can I bake with the limited time I time which I will be free at night.

Came upon this event "Bake a Difference" few weeks ago while surfing Penny Jeroxie blog and signed up. I almost forgot about due date till other bloggers started submitting their entries and mention it on twitter.

After work 1 evening, alone at home and craving to bake. I decided on Chocolate Mocha Cookies to give it a try. It was already 10pm when I switched on my KA and started putting the ingredients together.

DSC03920

Creaming 1/2 cup unsalted butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar
DSC03910

DSC03911







While KA is doing it job, I was busy mixing 2 cups of flour, 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules (I used a bit more and pounded into powder), 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt together.

Add in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 egg once mixture is light and fluffy.
DSC03912

Add in the flour mixture after egg is well blended into the mixture.
DSC03913

Divide the dough into 2, wrapped with waxed paper and chill until firm. I chilled mine till the next day as it was getting too late to bake.
DSC03915

The next evening once I got home from work, I took the dough out from the fridge. Found it a bit too hard to roll therefore left it on the bench top for it to soften before rolling it and cut with my X'mas theme cookies cutter.
DSC03916

Popped them into the pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 10mins and it's all done. The whole house was filled with nice coffee fragrance during the time.
DSC03917

As you can see on the 2 previous photos. The recipe dough actually holds it's shape really well. There isn't much different comparing the unbaked and baked cookies.

Did find the cookies a bit too plain looking. Plus don't think Chocolate Mocha Cookies are really X'mas treats. I was lazy and sucks at decorating using icing. Therefore decided to try dipping them into white chocolate. I always have the tendency to link white colour with X'mas. Guess that's because of snow :)

DSC03922

No comments: