Tuesday 23 November 2010

Toblerone Chocolate Cheesecake



What we are cooking today on Nigella Lawson's twitter is chocolate cheesecake. That reminds me of the Toblerone Chocolate Cheesecake which I made few weeks ago.

Minister handed me a piece of A4 white paper when he got home from work 1 day. Written on was a recipe for cheesecake. A very motherly colleague of his knew that he loves cheesecake so wrote her favourite recipe and gave it to him. I'm guessing she knows I bake and cook?

I promised him that I will make it and bought the ingredients. But I didn't get around to try it and off we went away for 6 weeks with the cream cheese sitting in the fridge.I finally got around making it after being back for 2 weeks.

I did alter the recipe a bit. 1st was the base, Digestive biscuit was used instead of Chocolate biscuit. Don't ask me why but when it comes to cheesecake base, I will definitely use Digestive biscuits. 2nd, I didn't really bother measuring the butter. I just used what's needed to bring all the crumbs together. 3rd, I only had 1 Philadelphia cream cheese in the fridge so I halved the recipe. Even better since there's only 2 of us and we won't end up stuffing ourselves with cheesecake. 4th, I melted the whole bar of Toblerance chocolate and reduce the sugar instead.

Maybe because it's not my 1st time making a no-bake cheesecake. Therefore I know what to expect thus dare to change the recipe. The cheesecake turn out perfect! Not too sweet, very smooth and just the right size for us!

Recipe : Toblerone Chocolate Cheesecake
1 cup plain chocolate biscuit crumbs
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 x 250gm Philadelphia cream cheese (@ room temperature)
3 teaspoons gelatine dissolved in 1/3 cup boiling water
3/4 cup caster sugar
100gm Toblerone - swiss or dark chocolate (melted)
1/2 cup cream

Mix biscuits crumbs and butter. Press into 20cm base springform tin and chill.
Beat cream cheese until soft.
Add gelatine mixture, caster sugar, melted chocolate and cream. Blend till smooth.
Pour mixture into crumb base and chill (2-3 hours / overnight)

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Ohhhh.... I very, very much want this! I wish I had someone I could order to make it for me, so that I could have a slice for my poor lactose intolerant self rather than being tempted by a whole cheesecake in my fridge! :P

cltyw said...

Hi Hannah, I dun mind making it and give you a slice if you stay in Mel :) know what's it's like being lactose intolerant. I suffer from lactose intolerant (self diagnose) for more than 6 months this year and switch to soy milk. But luck I wasn't that bad. Still able to have dairy products like cheese. But tried taking milk back last month and I'm fine till now! I'm still taking it slow though. Only limit myself to one cup of coffee with milk.